Skip to main content

Elena Produnova - interview


The gymnastics group at VK.com has published an interview with 2000 Olympian, Elena Produnova.  Thanks for their permission to provide an edit of it here.

People will remember Elena in particular for two reasons: her original vault that no one else has been able to emulate; and her own special brand of powerful acrobatics, energetic temperament and musical flow, a heady mixture that today's gymnasts find impossible to match.

Recently there have been some photographs of Elena working in a gym.  Although she has always said that she wouldn't have a coaching career, it seems that now she is a coach at a gym in Nalchik, a town in the very south of the Russian Federation, in the foothills of the Caucasian mountains, in the republic of Kabardino-Balkaria.  

The first question, tell us how you ended up in Nalchik?

- Nalchik came up at the right time, in terms of my life circumstances.  Through my previous work I had a very good friend - head of the sports department of the inter-regional public organization "Dynamo" in Rostov-on-Don, Mamhegov Khachim Khasanovitch. He became Deputy Minister of Sport in Kabardino-Balkaria.  The Republic's government has built a gymnastics facility and invited me to raise and develop my favourite sport. At that time I was caring for my mom and I had to refuse the offer, but six months later my mother died.  Then, I did not hesitate to come to Nalchik.
 
You could have had an invitation abroad? If so, why refuse?

- Yes, there were invitations to the US and Brazil. But I'm still a patriot of Russia )))

Do you enjoy coaching?

- Coaching is very complicated and laborious. There will never be quick results.  It is difficult psychological and physical work, especially with children. But this work is very interesting and I love it already.

There are already some results?

- The results so far are small. I remember my time in the gym and the great coaches who worked with me.  I try to collect all my experience together - like a Rubik's Cube. I really hope that all the colours match, that everything will turn out. With my character, I am able to achieve goals.

What kind of goals?

- The objective, as always, is to grow an Olympic champion in Kabardino-Balkaria.

Are you a rigorous coach?

- As a coach, I am strict but fair, respecting gymnasts in the first place. But they love me, I know.

What do you think of gymnastics today?

-  I always watch and follow.  This is my life. I like Mustafina and Tutkhalyan. America and its power. The gymnasts there are strong, and do sophisticated things that impress me.

In the end, no one has been able to repeat your vault.  Are you surprised, proud?

-  I think, my pupils will do my vault. And I'll be very happy when someone manages it. Gymnasts prepare for this since childhood. It is too early to say anything definite.

Thank you very much for the interview. We wish you good luck and success in such an interesting job, talented students and look forward to seeing you as a coach at national championships, World Championships and the Olympics. Everything will turn out!

Good luck, Elena!!!





Comments

  1. This is a somewhat off topic question. In Russian culture is the metaphor particularly important or powerful to them? More so than in other cultures and languages? In many of the interview summaries I see, the gymnasts often times will use metaphors or even multiple metaphors to communicate their feelings and aims; Like Elena's Rubiks cube or Vika's canvas metaphor to name a recent few off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could well be right ... the language does seem to be pretty lyrical!

      Delete
  2. "- Yes, there were invitations to the US and Brazil. But I'm still a patriot of Russia )))"

    Music to my ears. I love to hear things like "I will stay loyal to Russia." Reason why I'm all for Khorkina or other gymnasts like her to be in charge. This is what Russia needs. People that care for the development of this sport in their country and bring results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think, my pupils will do my vault. And I'll be very happy when someone manages it. Gymnasts prepare for this since childhood. It is too early to say anything definite."

    Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

USSR is a mighty sports power!

Once upon a time sportsmen were heros and role models, a shining moral example for all of society as to the values of a strong work ethic and a healthy body. USSR is a might sports power!  B. Reshetnikov, 1962  Picture courtesy of A Soviet Poster a Day I love these Soviet era posters and the way they capture the spirit of the time, something special about the purity of the collective sporting effort.  Of course today, sport is about different things.  The political and behavioural symbolic value of sport has been replaced by sport as a commodity.  Sports stars exist as brand heroes in our shopping centres and glossy magazines, the sometimes lurid details of their everyday lives trumpeted on the pages of such magazines as Hello! and the gossip pages of the internet. Compare photographs of Olympians Svetlana Khorkina (1996, 2000 and 2004) and Ludmilla Tourischeva (1972, 1976): Khorkina is in all her glamour shot, sexually charged splendour; Svetlana Khorkina, undated Tou

UPDATE 23/9 - Russian WAG team for Nanning confirmed

Daria Spiridonova will compete at her first World Championships this autumn.  Picture : RGF Natalia Kalugina has confirmed the Russian team for Nanning : Aliya Mustafina, Maria Kharenkova, Tatiana Nabieva,Ekaterina Kramarenko, Alla Sosnitskaya, Daria Spiridonova.  Reserve : Polina Fyodorova Here is a paraphrased translation of a comment by Natalia Kalugina on her Facebook page : 'Aliya has confidence in competition and she is, kind of, a coach to this team.  In Europe she succeeded in this role and she has told the coaches that she even liked it. The main fighting force will be Kharenkova, Sosnitskaya and Spiridonova.  Accordingly, the strongest apparatus will be beam (Marina Bulashenko With God!).  The Chinese women, of course, have been known to win that apparatus, but if one falls, they all fall.   Alla Sosnitskaya could compete in the vault final, and - in theory - on the floor. On bars, of course, Russia will probably lose to the Chinese women, but they should be able to hold

Russian Nationals 2024 : Part 2 WAG Team Finals and Individual Qualifiers

Injury was a main concern for the Russian women at this competition.  Of the Olympians, only Gerasimova competed at full strength.  Both Listunova and Melnikova were suffering with pain; you could see this on their faces and in their movement, by the end of the day's competition.  For Listunova, foot and back pain were problems, while Melnikova had severe achilles pain.  Melnikova is booked in for an MRI as soon as she returns to Moscow after a short break in Sochi, where she is staying with David Belyavski and his family.   Slava Urazova didn't make the competition at all after injuring her knee in training.  Ilyankova has retired.  Both Diana Kustova and Alena Glotova are still recovering from chest infections and Kustova did not compete at all.  Up and coming gymnasts worth watching include Lyudmilla Roschina, Leila Vasileeva (a favourite of mine) and Maria Agafanova.  The standard of execution was generally good, although there were lots of mistakes, especially on beam.  On

RRG Archive - scroll by date, from 2024 to 2010

Show more